Roads & Construction
Current Road Status
- - All roads and entrances are open for the season. Temporary closures and delays can happen at any time.
- - Check Montana travel conditions (1-800-226-7623) and Wyoming travel conditions (1-888-996-7623) before traveling.
Current Fire Activity
Current fire activity and any impacts on road travel are shown on this Park Roads map. For detailed information about individual fires, see Current Fire Activity.
2015 Fall Closing Dates
- - October 5: Beartooth Pass closes
- - October 13: Dunraven Pass closes
- - November 2: All roads except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance close at 8:00 am
2016 Spring Road Opening Dates
- - April 15: Mammoth to Old Faithful; Madison to West Entrance; Norris to Canyon.
- - May 6: Canyon Junction to Lake; Lake to East Entrance (Sylvan Pass).
- - May 13: Lake to South Entrance; Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- - May 27: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass); Beartooth Highway
General Road and Entrance Information
- - Most park roads are CLOSED to auto travel between early November and late April.
- - The road from the North Entrance at Gardiner, Montana, through the park to Cooke City, Montana, via Tower Junction is open twenty-four hours a day, all year to auto travel.
- - U.S. Highway 212 is closed to auto travel just east of Cooke City from late fall to late spring.
- - Visit our Road Construction and Delays and Park Entrances pages for more information.
- - For more information on biking in the shoulder seasons please see our spring and fall bike pages.
Road Construction and Delays
2015 Scheduled Road Construction
Reference the numbered dots and map below to see where road construction is scheduled.
- 1 - North Entrance at Gardiner MT: Excavation continues along the entrance road through Gardiner. Businesses are open. Traffic is being diverted to new alignments. Visitors are still able to stop at Roosevelt Arch using the flagger escort.
- 2 - Norris to Mammoth (Norris to Golden Gate): April 17 to October 1 - expect traffic delays of up to 30 minutes. Loose gravel - motorcyclists use EXTREME caution! There is a nightly closure on the Norris to Mammoth road construction project from 11pm-7am, seven days per week. The road will be closed to all travel during that time.
- 3 - Old Faithful to West Thumb (Craig Pass - Isa Lake Bridge Replacement: June 11 through September 10 - expect traffic delays up to 30 minutes. (Visitors are able to access Lone Star Geyser on the west side and DeLacy Creek trailhead on the east side.)
General Road Construction Information
Road construction is perennial in Yellowstone National Park. In general, park roads have either been recently repaired or reconstructed, or are scheduled for repair or reconstruction. Approximately 80% of main park roads (about 185 mi or 295 km) are in a structurally deficient state, with poor quality road bases failing under the weight, speed, and volume of modern traffic for which they were not designed. Harsh winter weather and short construction seasons provide additional challenges.
These needs are now being addressed under a 20-year, $300 million Federal Lands Highway Program for Yellowstone National Park. In addition, park road repair crews will be working in other areas of the park throughout the seasons.
Yellowstone reconstructs its roads during the spring, summer and fall seasons, which means you will likely encounter delays depending on your destination. It's a good idea to check with our visitor centers or entrance stations for current information and possible delays.
Recommended Road and Construction Resources Before Traveling
Information about our roads.
- - Yellowstone's Park Roads page for the current road status.
- - Current road information by phone: 307-344-2117
In the summer there is often road construction occurring on the roads leading to the park in the surrounding states.
Check below for numbers and websites with updated state road construction information.
Information about Montana road projects.
Information about Wyoming road projects.
Grand Teton National Park Info
Information about their roads.
- - call 307-739-3614
- - Grand Teton's newspaper includes a road construction map for further reference and can be found online at www.nps.gov/grte, or picked up at any park entrance station or visitor center.
Other Numbers to Call for Road Information
- - Beartooth Highway: 1-888-285-4636
- - Cody Chamber: 1-800-393-2639
- - Red Lodge Chamber: 1-888-281-0625
- - Cooke City Chamber: 406-838-2495